Yoav Kutner, Magento’s co-founder and then CTO said “finally the Magento platform is mature enough where it’s requiring a new version” and that version is the open-source flexibility and functionality of Magento 2.0. With the arrival of Magento 2.0’s agile, open flexible architecture and enterprise grade scalability and performance, the question for over 250,000- Magento merchants is:
- When do I upgrade?
- Do I have to upgrade?
- Benefits of upgrade?
The Magento community from burgeoning forums to Magento Connect and beyond has created a plethora of documentation, extensions and support for the flagship Magento 1 platform. However as Magento 2.0 and its ability to empower brands, retailers and businesses across B2C and B2B industry’s revolutionises the eCommerce digital space, the focus and technical exploration has shifted.
When Do I Upgrade?
In consultation with Balance Internet, we set about requirement gathering and scoping to ensure that your Magento 1 platform is continuing to meet the requirements of your business. The value of a strong roadmap cannot be understated, and with the support of Magento 1 continuing for the next three years, (end of 2018) we recommend upgrading to Magento 2.0 when it is relevant and your eCommerce platform is detrimental to your productivity. However, if your platform is unresponsive and lacking functionality, let’s talk!
Do I have to Upgrade?
If your site is currently optimised and running efficiently, you have a 3-year period in which to undertake your upgrade. If your Magento platform is version 1.9.X CE and 1.14.X EE, your customer UX and engagement capabilities are still relevant, however we would recommend if your Magento platform is older than that, you may experience difficulties and would consult with you in regards to upgrading to the Magento 2.0 platform.
Benefits of an Upgrade
The exceptional Magento 2.0 eCommerce platform offers:
- Open flexible architecture that features modular code base for easier customisation
- Extensive and efficient API’s enabling you to connect and operate at scale with all third party solutions
- Wide selection of turnkey extensions that is growing daily
- A brand new code base that is more efficient and lowers the cost of hosting
- Responsive and intuitive framework
- Superior shopping experiences that provides 24/7 accessibility to your store and products
- Enhanced business agility and productivity
- Enterprise grade scalability and performance
- Secure payments and faster checkout
- Enhanced analytics capabilities
- Magento 2.0 provides a 50% faster loading time in catalog as well as check out pages
- Ability to support more than 2 million page views with the capacity to process 250,000 orders per hour
With the arrival of Magento 2.0, it is vital for all eCommerce stores to assess the ongoing viability of their platform and the overall usability of their site. From functionality to capacity, to upgrade or not will depend on your unique circumstances. Say goodbye to legacy code as you welcome the next generation of open-source eCommerce excellence with Magento 2.0, or continue with Magento 1 as long as it meets your brief and continues to support your brand reach and profitability.
Be informed, discuss the advantages of upgrading to Magento 2.0 with our team of Magento specialists on 1300 624 368 or contact us