Star Wars is dominating the 2015 Halloween costume craze as Hollywood blockbusters are again leading the costume trend this year!
Data released by SLI Systems found Star Wars is an unmatched force with nearly 37% greater interest than Minions – the next closest film. In fact, this Halloween season, consumers conducted twice as many costume searches for Star Wars characters than Frozen characters, which were the most-searched costumes in 2014. Anticipation of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is clearly attracting new generations, adding to decades of loyal fan numbers.
The top 5 most-searched movie-themed costumes of 2015, were:
- Star Wars (combines searches for Leia, Darth Vader and other characters)
- Minions(includes searches for Despicable Me)
- Frozen (includes searches for Elsa, Olaf and other characters)
- Marvel Universe (includes Hulk, Thor, Ironman, Spiderman and other characters)
As noted in a recent Multichannel Merchant article, SLI studied site search activity across e-commerce costume retailer websites based in the U.S., Canada and Australia, analysing a total of more than 10 million consumer searches taking place between Sept 1 and Oct 20, 2015.
The SLI data team compared the most popular site search terms across costume retailer websites using our Learning Search® service and found interest in current events as well. For instance, searches for ‘Trump’ increased significantly, with 33x more searches than the same timeframe in 2014. The data also revealed, the search term “Trump” was 38% more popular than “Ironman”!
Here are some of the additional findings from SLI’s 2015 Halloween Costume Site Search study:
- The top three most popular non-movie searches in order were: witch, pirate and zombie
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle-related searches remain popular but missed the Top Five movie-themed list, coming in 6thplace
- Supergirl (and Superwoman) was 3.5x more popular than Trump and nearly 5x more popular than Ironman, the least popular Marvel super hero this season
- Spiderman was the most popular Marvel super hero
- Maleficent saw 3x the searches compared with (Princess) Leia
According to Dr. Mark Ryan, a senior lecturer in the creative industries faculty at the Queensland University of Technology, Halloween is becoming more accepted and more of a mainstream cultural practice in Australia. So don’t be surprised if you have Princess Leia, Darth Vader or Yoda knocking at your door this Saturday, looking for treats!
About SLI Systems: SLI Systems (SLI.NZ) enables the world’s leading e-commerce retailers to accelerate sales by connecting shoppers with the products they’re most likely to buy. With offerings that include site search, navigation, merchandising, mobile, product recommendations and user-generated SEO, SLI is the most chosen cloud-based site search provider to U.S. Internet Retailer Top 1,000 retailers. The company’s patented technology continuously learns from the actions of visitors to deliver the most relevant results possible. Whether via PC, tablet or phone, a site powered by SLI delivers the kind of satisfying search experience that increases conversion rates, secures brand loyalty and results in higher order values. SLI operates on five continents. For more information, visit www.sli-systems.com.au.
Head of Marketing, APAC, SLI Systems